Skip to main content

Blogging is my Scrapbook of Ideas

It's been a while since I posted to my blog. I had very good intentions to get back to it, but other things came about. So that has me wondering. How important is it to make time for blogging? We're all busy. We all have things competing or our attention and time. Where does blogging fit?

The easy answer is that it is not that important. In the course of my day, I am inundated with projects, requests for help, needs to research new tools, communications, and much more. Giving up blogging would be a nice way to shorten my to do list. On the other hand, it has led to some really significant experiences. I have had people who I respect (and some who I do not) comment on my posts, leading to great discussions about topics important to me. Without my blog, these discussions might take place but they might only take place among those who I see regularly at work. This does not necessarily lead to a broader perspective. My blog allows the conversation to grow beyond our organization.

I also find that when I blog, I take the time to reflect and research a topic that I might not otherwise spend time thinking about. It helps me formulate my thoughts, which then leads to decisions down the road. It is like a virtual sounding board where I can find out if my ideas are crazy or not.

Finally, it helps me organize my thoughts and conversations. Just today, somebody asked me about an idea that I had a long time ago. I was able to refer her to the blog post. It was like a snapshot of how I felt about that topic at that time. Otherwise, I would not have remembered my thoughts. Like a scrapbook of ideas, I can look back through time and see how I felt about a topic and how others reacted to it.

What a great tool. Now I just need to recommit to making time for it. I think I have 6 minutes next Friday...

Why do you blog? How do you make time for it?

Comments

  1. I blog to let the community know what is going on. I just make room for it as I am doing things throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan-

    Good to hear from you! I appreciate your commitment to blogging. I plan to fit it in to my day as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Traditions

Over the winter break, my wife and I got talking about traditions. At this time of year, there are many. Somehow or another, the conversation ended up on technology. (I don't know how... really!!) We were talking about how traditions are a part of our core values. For us, a love of nature is a core value. We have planned a couple of family trips to take advantage of the nature that is accessible throughout our country. We talked about how many people, including us at times, feel like technology can be a threat to our core values. It might be in conflict with our work/life balance, our love of the outdoors, our perceptions of what good relationships are about. But then we began talking about how technology has helped us build on our core values. As we planned our trip to Utah to go to the National Parks, we used the Internet to research the parks, find a flight, book a hotel, rent a car, and look at maps of the area. We might use a GPS system to help us get around while we are there...

The Well Equipped Computer Lab - Feedback Encouraged!

I have the wonderful opportunity (and responsibility) to research and select some software for our elementary school computer labs. I have a moderate budget, but it is enough to purchase 3-5 new titles depending on costs. The committee will meet throughout this year and hopefully make its decision by March. I am very interested in the feedback of others, both within the district and elsewhere. We currently have some software in the labs that are still being used. This is an opportunity to fill in some gaps. I also want to go on record as stating that I recognize that there are many websites, free or otherwise, that can meet some of our needs. However, as we collect websites for specific skills and concepts, we are learning that there are often drawbacks to many of them, whether it is the fact that they are not part of a cohesive program that can track progress and individualize instruction or that they have many distracting elements on the screen. I also feel strongly that the core of ...