Skip to main content

Create!

As part of the New Year, I have been setting some goals for what I want to accomplish this year. One of my goals is to spend more time creating. So I thought, I should dust off the ol' blog and get started again! We often fear creating because we open ourselves up to judgment. But creating is how we put ideas into the world. It is how we turn them on their axis and look at them from different perspectives. And yes, it is how we present them to others to get their thoughts and feedback. My hopes are that writing will spark some creative thinking for myself, while also sharing my thinking and learning with others. I hope you will join me and set a goal of creating something, anything, this year. What are your hidden talents? Woodwork? Paint? Play Doh? Whatever it is, it's time to flex your creative muscles. Work them and develop them! Everyone is creative, but only through practice do we become better at it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Traditions

Over the winter break, my wife and I got talking about traditions. At this time of year, there are many. Somehow or another, the conversation ended up on technology. (I don't know how... really!!) We were talking about how traditions are a part of our core values. For us, a love of nature is a core value. We have planned a couple of family trips to take advantage of the nature that is accessible throughout our country. We talked about how many people, including us at times, feel like technology can be a threat to our core values. It might be in conflict with our work/life balance, our love of the outdoors, our perceptions of what good relationships are about. But then we began talking about how technology has helped us build on our core values. As we planned our trip to Utah to go to the National Parks, we used the Internet to research the parks, find a flight, book a hotel, rent a car, and look at maps of the area. We might use a GPS system to help us get around while we are there...

The Well Equipped Computer Lab - Feedback Encouraged!

I have the wonderful opportunity (and responsibility) to research and select some software for our elementary school computer labs. I have a moderate budget, but it is enough to purchase 3-5 new titles depending on costs. The committee will meet throughout this year and hopefully make its decision by March. I am very interested in the feedback of others, both within the district and elsewhere. We currently have some software in the labs that are still being used. This is an opportunity to fill in some gaps. I also want to go on record as stating that I recognize that there are many websites, free or otherwise, that can meet some of our needs. However, as we collect websites for specific skills and concepts, we are learning that there are often drawbacks to many of them, whether it is the fact that they are not part of a cohesive program that can track progress and individualize instruction or that they have many distracting elements on the screen. I also feel strongly that the core of ...